Search This Blog

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Best Laid Plans

I had high hopes for this weekend. I really did. However, I did not get nearly what I wanted done on my list. Saturday ended up being a shopping day instead of a working day. We did manage to get some great deals on some unexpected purchases though!

It all started with an email from Big Lots for 20% off purchases on Saturday with their Buzz Club rewards card.  I had wanted to get a cheap hose nozzle like the one I got there last year that was left under pressure in freezing temps. Totally looking at you Mr. Howell. Then we decided we might need a few other things. We ended up coming home with the hose nozzle, a new hose, kitty litter, duck tape, a walk in greenhouse, three large planting pots, and 40 square feet of interlocking wood tile to make a little patio area.  Whoops! The rest of the day was tied up with a community event.

Today was far more productive! My son and I had an early lunch with my mother. By the time we came home, darling husband had built the fire pit we purchased a few weeks ago from Lowe's. Next, he and the kiddo (plus a neighbor kid) put the patio tiles together.

This was half way through the project, and I love it!

While they were concentrating on building the patio area, I worked on building the greenhouse. The kids then helped move all the plants from inside the house to their new home in the greenhouse. Everyone got a good drink of water! We placed some buckets of water in the greenhouse to act as heat batteries for the cold nights ahead too.

After that we relaxed with a small fire in the fire pit!
Thankfully, I checked the weather and became concerned about the incoming storms and cold temperatures. We decided to add a small heat lamp to the greenhouse to protect the plants from any potential frost. We included a temperature and humidity monitor that we can check from inside the house to be sure that it doesn't get too hot or too cold for the plants with the new setup. Here is hoping we don't have to move everyone back inside!

No new seeds planted this week. Join me next Sunday for more updates!






No comments:

Post a Comment